Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tonga Day 4 (Tongatapu - 'Eua)


Today was all about corralling the hectic nature of south pacific travel. If Tonga doesn't want to go they certainly won't put a lot of effort into making it happen. Mike, Patience and I planned on the island of 'Eua for the remainder of the time here in Tonga. A three hour ferry would take us there - more on that later. As for getting back, we decided the best thing to do was take a flight back - an eight minute flight! This is the shortest commercial flight in the world - YES! Now that we know how we're getting there and back from 'Eua, it was time to board the ferry.


 From the moment I started getting on the boat I knew it would be rough but I was prepared in the slightest for what was to come. The waters we were travelling through were over the second deepest trench in the world - 10.8 kilometers - and they'the roughest waters in Tonga. I'm talking non-stop 10-15 foot swells for three and a half hours. I got motion sickness thirty minutes in....I was dying and the only place I could go to relieve it was the front of the boat - which made soaked me wet, cold, freezing, windy and sick for the next three hours. I promise you this was the worst experience of my life times a million. We weren't even sure this boat could make it there and keep us alive for crying out loud (actually two years ago a ferry sank and killed over 150 people in about the same location - but we found out after the fact...) Finally however we made it there and arrived at our accommodation - Hideaway resort 'Eua. This simple yet gorgeous piece of land has direct access to tours, beaches, horse back riding and so much more. The rest of the day was all about relaxation, enjoying a nice meal near the ocean with the sunset just on the horizon.




Don't worry - this hut came with an out house
and cold shower! We're all set!
So far I've experienced awesome highs and terrible lows on this trip haha but its all about the experienced we make through travel!

No comments:

Post a Comment