Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 5: Queenstown Adrenaline Day

Also known as AJ Hackett day, our group departed for the legendary 134 meter or 440 foot bungee jump today! It takes place in a trolley cart high over the valley in which you are suspended in mid air the entire time. What a rush! Just waiting in line I didn't feel anything, no nerves at all really. But then when they sit you down in the set-up chair and attach the bungee chord to your feet you know its for real. After they do that you hobble over to the jump platform and before you know it your jumping in as little as 3…2…1...BYE! The fall felt like I was committing suicide but the chord stopped the fall and all I had to do was sit there and take in the last 10 seconds. The guide pulled me up and complemented my swan dive, saying it was the best he's seen all day - glad I did it right!

That was all we had planned at the time but I hadn't done enough yet. The world's largest canyon swing had my name written all over it and boy oh boy was it ever fun. I still don't know which activity was better but I can assure you they are both unbelievable. Matt, my program coordinator, and I went tandem - upside down and backwards! Oh ya the more extreme the better! Great photos and videos are on the way but sadly you won't be able to enjoy it quite like I did!

You might think that was enough for one day but that was only half of the adventure! Next on the agenda was Shotover River Jet-Boating. It only lasted about 20 minutes but the boats flew through canyons at speeds of over 50 mph, inches from the surrounding rocks! They also did 360 degree turns that stopped us on the dime! But the best part had to be the scenery of the surrounding landscapes. In the backdrop of every turn were the 'Remarkable Mountains' as well as gorgeous views of the hillside. Everything looked straight out of the Lord of the Rings! Couldn't have asked for a more perfect day for all this adrenaline packed action!

No comments:

Post a Comment