Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 6: Queenstown Mad Dog River Boarding

This morning I was able to sleep in a little bit after going on a 6 bar - bar crawl last night through some very popular bars in town.  Met up with Megan and Morgan from Wellington too so that was a very nice surprise! Anyways we managed to stay out past 3am and see Fergburger still packed with action. Once I woke up I went to the lake water front and spent some time walking along park paths and taking photos of absolutely stunning Queenstown. There were some other hiking paths that went up through the mountains that I didn't get a chance to do today but I hope to before this week is out.

The rest of the day I spent on the river with Mad Dog River Boarding. This operation is similar to the sledging I did in Rotorua but they had more activities and longer runs on the river. Unfortunately it was 30 degree colder water than up in Rotorua because its all melted glacier water here - by the way they close this Friday because of the temperature….glad we could make it in time. When they first they first told us to get into the water I dove in and felt the full effect of the freezing cold water. They asked me a question when I got back up to the surface and I couldn't even make out three words because the water literally took my breath away! Nevertheless the rapids again were awesome and adrenaline-packed. We finished the day with 20-meter rock jumps, slides and swings. What a blast and totally worth the frostbite that currently resides all over my body (just kidding but seriously I've never been so cold!)

No comments:

Post a Comment